Culpeper and Equinox 800

• Creator
    Topic
    Steve Engstler
    Participant

Going on my first organized hunt this weekend in Culpeper and using a new Equinox 800. Any recommendations or tips for using this machine in this area? I am still learning the detector so I am looking for basic info outside of what is in the manual to get started and enjoy the weekend. Thanks in advance for any suggestions offered.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
        Profile PhotoSteve Engstler
        Participant

Thanks for the tips. While I only dug trash iron, I had a lot of fun and, with these tips and assistance from some of the other people at the dig, learned a lot about my machine. Looking forward to joining y’all at the spring DIV.

Profile PhotoMichael Inscore
          Participant

Hey Steve.  As I’ve only used my Nox 800 in Culpeper once before (most recent Spilman DIV), I don’t have a ton of experience with it in the hot dirt.  It was my backup to my GPX but I honestly was really surprised at how deep (relative to over VLFs) it would detect signals.  I had used a White’s MXT on past DIVs and almost couldn’t get a signal on a bullet sitting on top of a clod of dirt!  But like Eric said, I’d try to hunt in the woods if you can as that dirt is usually not as hot.  Be sure to ground balance A TON while you’re detecting as the varying mineralerization of the ground will cause issues and you will likely miss deeper targets.  I’d also be sure that the ground balance tracking (little squiggle line upper right corner) is turned off.  You don’t really want the machine self adjusting itself for the ground since you again may mask some signals that are deeper.  I’d also dig in all metal mode (horseshoe) and dig everything that’s a repeatable signal.  I usually take a three ringer and small brass piece (GS eagle button) and dig a small hole and bury it for each of them.  That way I can get a feel for what it might sound like.    For the location I was at at Spilman, about 6 -8″ was about as deep of a signal as I could detect.  But it all depends on the dirt.  Good luck out there and hope to see you at a future DIV.

Michael

Profile PhotoSteve Engstler
            Participant

Thanks for the tips. If I get picked for DIV-L, I will look into renting a GPX. This is not a DIV event, this is another group.

Profile PhotoEric Smith
              Participant

Try hunting the wooded areas, sometimes they are easier on vlf’s. Also, dig every signal as good targets will sound like iron. I would recommend renting a GPX from Keith Leppert. He rents them out for DIV’s. Thanks and happy hunting!

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Close
            Close