Shaler Bullet

• Creator
    Topic
    Jim Bonito
    Participant

Hi

Just looking thru museum pictures of bullets , I am aware of a Shaler bullet in some quick talks with DIV buddies … but I would like to know the reason for the three pieces and how did the bullet react upon being fired and hitting the target …  Im certain one probably knows the reason for the three pieces and poss what the round did when it hit … thanks In advance , hope somebody will answer this for me (us ) I do have my own thoughts on this round

See you soon … Jim

Have not recovered one , I understand at DIV 48 the are shalers in the ground at  Ratire hoping the recover one or two

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
        Profile PhotoJim Bonito
        Participant

Thanks Reid ….. Thanks what I heard soldiers didn’t like the Shaler … thanks for the input

Profile PhotoReid Bridges
          Participant

With the amount, you find buried and from firepits, they must have really sucked. I could see them cocking in the gun and fouling the barrel.

Cool bullet to find all three peaces, my guess soldiers discarded them ASAP.

Profile PhotoJim Bonito
            Participant

Dean and Gord …. response much appreciated , Dean I would hope to find one yes sir….   Gord  … that must of been awesome to see a recovery as such you mentioned everyone should be so fortunate .. well maybe not everyone only the DIV ers … that have not been as fortunate … like Me hahahahah …. still love being out in those field no matter what …. Man I hope to see you guys in Nov :USA: :swinger;

Profile PhotoDean Ryberg
              Participant

I think the intent was that the pieces separated upon firing creating a larger pattern, but the soldiers didn’t care for them much, so many were discarded. And yeah, there’s been a lot of them found at Ratrie! Nearly a 1000 in one hole!👍 Hope you find one Jim!

Profile PhotoGord Thompson
                  Participant

I managed to find three individual pieces in three different holes to make a complete but rather crusty shaler at Ratrie.  I was also able to watch the recovery of the almost 1000 complete shalers from one very deep hole at the same farm.  Imagine bringing handfuls of those bullets to the surface after being in a case dumped in a hole almost 150 years ago.  It was an amazing recovery.  I think the value of an individual shaler dropped dramatically when that news went out.

Viewing 3 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Close
              Close